In a year filled with unprecedented challenges, MFTs have been an integral part of our society’s coping and healing efforts. From facing a global pandemic to the call for correcting systemic oppression, racism, and injustice, our members have been on the front lines of the pain being felt by others. And we know this hasn’t been easy for you.
In the face of these huge challenges, there have also been incredible moments for our profession. Many of our members have shifted their entire way of working, seemingly overnight, while continuing to deliver vital care – both to their clients and their families. In the midst of COVID-19 lockdowns, over 6,000 MFTs from around the world came together to share in our At Home series focused on how we can continue to impact change. Members also worked swiftly to re-imagine and author two issues of the Family Therapy magazine to focus on the pandemic and the struggle with racial injustice. In the U.S., through vigilant efforts, our MFTs in Medicare bill recently passed through committee and should later be heard by the full U.S. House of Representatives for the first time since 2009. We also continue to make incredible gains with the VA, including the passage by both the U.S. Senate and a House committee of Veterans mental health legislation.
There is so much being done to discuss, so much that we need to learn from one another in these times. And yet, one of our greatest opportunities to do this, together in-person at our Annual Conference, is another loss in a year that feels filled with unfulfilled and cancelled plans. However, I am confident that our re-imagined virtual Annual Conference, AAMFT20: MFTs Changing the World, (November 12 – 13) will deliver in so many ways.
And as a thank you to all who have worked so hard this year, AAMFT20 will be FREE to ALL current AAMFT members*.
That’s right – all you have to do is register and show up and you can share in this re-imagined experience! Highlights include:
- Keynote presentations by former Rep. Patrick Kennedy, one of the leading voices in mental health advocacy today, and a panel of MFT experts discussing the State of Systemic Family Therapy and the World.
- Breakout sessions that focus on a variety of clinical topics from couples to trauma and highlight key issues facing MFTs and their clients including anxiety, alcohol and drug misuse and abuse, systemic oppression, and more.
- An interview series highlighting MFTs doing good in our world with their work creating impactful change.
- Topic oriented tracks hosted by AAMFT’s Topical Interest Networks.
- Favorite events from our in-person conference, such as our Spotlight reception, re-imagined in a virtual space.
Each day offers space in the schedule to connect with your fellow participants, exhibitors, and presenters. Join together with your peers and colleagues from around the world as we discuss the clinical and societal impacts in our first ever virtual AAMFT Annual Conference.
Non-members registration rate is $150. Non-members who are students can contact us to receive a discounted rate. Interested in attending for free and enjoying all of the other great benefits of AAMFT membership? Sign up today to join AAMFT.
Review the schedule and register today at aamft.org/conference. And I will see you in November!
Tracy Todd, PhD
*Membership must be current as of November 10, 2020.
Thank you to our sponsors!