The American Red Cross is in the process of recruiting two types of Disaster Mental Health (DMH) volunteers: 1) Current Red Cross DMH volunteers and 2) licensed or certified mental health professionals who are eligible to become Red Cross DMH volunteers who live near the flooding, can provide their own transportation and volunteer for at least 1- 8 hour period. LMFTs are eligible to become Red Cross DMH volunteers. Training will be provided onsite for these new volunteers.
The recruitment is for flood relief operations in southern states.
- Above average rainfall this past weekend(3/12-3/13) have caused major flooding along the Gulf Coast, affecting thousands of people in Texas, Louisiana and Mississippi.
- Rivers are continuing to rise with crests expected today (Wed 3/17) and tomorrow (Thur 3/18).
- Mandatory evacuations have been enforced in multiple counties, forcing thousands of people out of their homes. Interstate 10 on the Texas border is closed in both directions due to flooding, making many areas inaccessible until the water recedes.
- The Red Cross and state governments are providing food, shelter, health and mental health support, and relief supplies to impacted communities and will be providing casework assistance in the coming days.
- Anticipating nearly 2,000 homes destroyed or damaged significantly across Texas and Louisiana.
- Approximately 500 people seeking shelter from the Red Cross across Gulf Coast areas of Texas and Louisiana.
Current Red Cross volunteers
Red Cross is seeking volunteers from outside the flood area who are available over the next week to deploy for 10 or more days. Recruitment has been expanded and is no longer limited to states near the flooding. Red Cross DMH volunteers who are available and interested in deploying are asked to update their availability in Red Cross’s Volunteer Connection.
Red Cross DMH volunteers who live close to the flooding and are available to volunteer are encouraged to go through their usual chapter’s or region’s volunteer procedures.
Not Currently Red Cross volunteers
- The Red Cross is in need of mental health professionals who are eligible and willing to provide Disaster Mental Health support to the clients impacted by devastating floods along the Gulf Coast. (See this document for eligibility criteria.) Of greatest need are mental health professionals in Texas and Louisiana who live near the impacted areas and are able to drive to volunteer intake centers – see locations below. All interested volunteers will need to cover their own travel costs.
- If you are interested in assisting, we can use your help for as many days as you can provide, with a minimum of 1 full day (8 hour shift).
- A background check will be completed during the volunteer intake process, and training will be provided on the job.
Locations for volunteer intake:
- Beaumont, Texas
- Shreveport, Louisiana
- Monroe, Louisiana
- Madisonville, Louisiana
- Alexandria, Louisiana
Mental health professionals who interested and available to volunteer as described above, please send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org.